Welcome to the final post in our series about random acts of kindness. We hope you enjoyed our previous posts’ acts of kindness ideas for helping others and performing small acts to make a difference. (Here are our posts on random acts of kindness to spread joy, ways to practice kindness toward yourself, and acts of kindness ideas for kids.)
Today, we want to provide you with tips and ideas for supporting frontline workers –– the people providing vital services every day in healthcare, grocery stores, and schools. As the coronavirus pandemic continues, it’s critical to do all we can to support their physical safety and ours by limiting the spread of COVID-19. It’s also important to support the mental health and wellness of essential workers.
While Random Acts of Kindness Day falls on February 17th, we encourage you to take these ideas and draw inspiration from them all year long to create moments of joy for yourself, your loved ones, your friends, and the community around you.
Acts of Kindness Ideas for Frontline Workers: It’s Great to Donate
Feeling creative? Have a little extra money to donate? You can use your DIY skills, your financial support, or both to perform random acts of kindness that support frontline workers in your community.
- Make a financial donation directly to a non-profit organization dedicated to supporting these groups of essential workers.
- See if local restaurants or local businesses have programs supporting frontline workers. If they do, make a purchase or donation, and support both a local establishment and essential workers at the same time.
- If you can make hand-sewn reusable face masks, donate them to an organization that needs them. Find out if a local hospital, clinic, nursing home, homeless shelter, or another non-profit in your city has an open call for reusable face masks, then put your skills to work to help frontline workers and the people they serve. Better yet, coordinate a face mask drive with your friends and family, and sew even more masks to help others.
Acts of Kindness Ideas for Essential Workers: Thanks a Million
The words “Thank you” can be easy to say, but they can have a huge impact. With a little bit of time and effort, you and your family can create thank-you cards to show your support for healthcare workers, the staff at your grocery store, first responders, and other essential workers.
- Send thank-you cards to the frontline workers in your life. Write notes and words of appreciation for your children’s teachers, your mail carrier, and the employees at your local grocery store. (Want to make writing thank-you notes a family activity? Get inspired by our post on random acts of kindness ideas for kids.)
- Write and mail a note of thanks. Not only does the recipient receive words of gratitude, but the purchase of your stamp also supports the United States Postal Service and its mail carriers.
- Show love and support to the staff of your favorite local company. The next time you stop at your favorite local coffee shop, go to the bank, or get takeout from a beloved restaurant, give the staff a thank-you note that celebrates them and states how much you appreciate their business.
- Getting food delivered? Leave the delivery driver a thank-you note where your food gets dropped off. If possible, provide a generous tip as well.
Acts of Kindness Ideas to Support Frontline Workers: Delivering Care
Take your thank-you note game to the next level and send a care package filled with goodies, treats, and written words of support to the frontline workers in your life. You can also send an unforgettable gift of support safely and conveniently by ordering a gift subscription box for loved ones who are essential workers.
- Put together a care package for an essential worker, such as your local mail carrier. Our blog posts on acts of kindness to spread joy every day and acts of kindness kids can practice have lots of great ideas on how to send care packages filled with kindness.
- Know a nurse who could use a thoughtful gift? Check out our list of unique subscription boxes for nurses who deserve some TLC.
- Celebrate a world-class teacher and brighten their day with one of these thoughtful gifts to thank your favorite teacher.
- Deliver some much-needed self-care to a friend or family member who provides essential services by sending one of our best relaxation gifts to pamper the overly stressed or a wellness subscription box to boost their self-care.
Acts of Kindness Ideas to Support Essential Workers: Safe at Home
One of the best ways you can show your support of essential workers is by staying home. By continuing to follow regulations and guidelines to help stop the spread of COVID-19, such as practicing social distancing and wearing a face mask, you make an essential worker’s job easier. Plus, there are several ways you can easily and conveniently send support without making a trip outside of your home.
- If your local clinic or hospital accepts food delivery, send them a pizza, a meal, or tasty packaged snacks as a show of thanks.
- Support two organizations with one gesture by sending a gift card for a local restaurant to an essential worker in your community.
- Save a trip and send love to the frontline worker in your life from a safe distance with a monthly subscription box. Cratejoy has several award-winning gift subscription boxes as well as monthly boxes for self-care and wellness.
Random Acts of Kindness Ideas: Moments of Joy All Year Long
Thanks again for reading Cratejoy’s Random Acts of Kindness series. We truly hope that you’ve found these posts inspiring and helpful, and that they’ve given you some great ideas for how you can share joy in creative and supportive ways.
Whether it’s Random Acts of Kindness Day or any other day of the year, we encourage you to connect with others and make the world a little bit brighter by celebrating moments of joy and practicing acts of kindness.