The internet not only makes information more accessible, it also gives you a number of ways to make some extra income right at home. Whether that’s starting your own e-commerce shop or reviewing products online, there are plenty of ways to make money online. Here are 10 ways that you can use the power of the internet to make a little extra on the side:
1. Start a Subscription Box
Starting a subscription box business is made easy with Cratejoy. It’s also a great way to establish a source of recurring revenue since subscription commerce lends itself to subscribers rather than one-time customers.
- Predict how much money you’ll make each month
- Easy to grow and scale compared to traditional e-commerce operations
- Works great with niche industries and categories
- Have a more intimate relationship with your customers/subscribers
Cratejoy is an all in one subscription commerce platform that includes everything you need to start your own subscription commerce business online. Try it free for 14 days.
2. Become a Blogger
If you like to write about the things that you’re passionate about, blogging is a perfect way to make money. Once you start reaching a dedicated audience, this opens your doors to all sorts of affiliate and partnership opportunities.
- Make money from affiliate programs
- Write about whatever you love
- Inexpensive startup costs
- A variety of options to get started — WordPress, Wix, Tumblr, Blogspot, etc.
3. Take Surveys & Participate in Studies
There are plenty of places to take online surveys such as Swagbucks, Valued Opinions, and Opinion Outpost, but one service that has become increasingly prevalent is Amazon’s Mechanical Turk or MTurk. MTurk is a crowdsourcing internet marketplace that was designed to help businesses to crowdsource the execution of tasks that computers currently can’t. However, MTurk has been adopted by psychologists and behavior researchers doing academic studies which you can be a part of AND get paid!
- Choose the tasks you do
- Variety of tasks (over half a million) to choose from
- Get funds automatically added to your Amazon account
- Some tasks can be quite fun– Get paid to play games, solve puzzles, and other tasks
4. Freelance Writing
Freelance writing is a great way to do commissioned writing and get paid! Lots of websites out there need content and will pay you to write it! Not sure where to start? That’s okay too. Websites like Upwork and FreelanceWriting help you connect with companies that are looking for freelance writers!
- Only seek out jobs when you want
- Set your own schedule
- Lots of different writing projects to choose from
- Build relationships with companies over time
5. Set Up an Online Store
If you’re a crafter, quilter, or even a cook, setting up an online store is one of the best ways to turn your hobby into a business!
- Be an entrepreneur — gives you a chance to build a business
- Lots of options — you can sell on Amazon, Etsy, eBay and more!
- Sustainability e-commerce can turn into more than just a side hustle. You can scale it into its own business
6. Become a Dog Walker
- Easy and convenient – set your own schedule
- All of the logistics handled in the app
- Branch out into other forms of care like dog boarding and house sitting
8. Teach a Language Online
You can teach English (or another language) easily to people all around the world with Italki!
- Teach on your own schedule
- Build a reputation as a language teacher
- Huge audience – Italki is worldwide and has over 1.5 million users
- No costs until you start making money
9. Sell Your Skills
Fiverr is similar to freelance websites, but it’s for all kinds of skills. From musicians to software developers, you can find work that matches what you have to offer.
- Get started easily no matter what your skills are
- Extremely flexible
- People find YOU based on your skillset and what job or “gig” you’re willing to provide
- Takes only 20% of each transaction — no recurring fee
10. Rent Your Car
We went through Uber for dogs, and now we’re doing Airbnb for cars. With Turo, you can rent your car to tourists for a fee.
- Covered by insurance
- Control how much you rent your car for and for how long
- No monthly fees or buy-in
- Could generate a lot of extra income in a big city or tourist area