My friend got me a subscription as a present, we've now played 3 boxes, and they were all TERRIBLE. Here is an itemized list of issues:
- Quality is cheap. As mentioned in some other reviews - from over a year ago - quality of box and props inside are very cheap. Clearly this is not a priority to change. Some clues are just printed on plain paper. This would be fine if the puzzles or the online system was in any way fun or sophisticated, which they are not. The voice acting is bad and, often times, incomprehensible. The timing is off for recordings, and it takes away from the "atmosphere" when it just sounds like some dude in his room talking into a microphone.
- Puzzles are terribly constructed. Almost all answers are themed to the box, which would be fun, except when you can guess an answer based on 2 letters because you know it has to be circus or moon related. As mentioned in other 1 star reviews, the puzzles do not flow intuitively so they are either incredibly easy or impossible without a significant leap of logic. Both my friend and I are avid puzzlers / escape room go-ers, and had to use hints for some of the puzzles because they literally did not make sense. They also don't make sense in context - I know the "world" of the puzzle doesn't need to conform to logic in the strictest sense but some of the reasons the...
My granddaughter is really enjoying these crates.
We thank you for the kind feedback, but we are curious as to why we got a 1 star review.
I purchased this subscription for my son's birthday. I spent some time checking they could mail to Australia and asking if we could change the address mid subscription, They were very keen to reply. We were told the mailout would be in the first week of August and an email would be sent out. Nothing heard at all and it's the 20th.
I contacted Cratejoy yesterday and they replied the matter was resolved for them because they are merely the marketplace platform. They gave me an email address but I've had no reply at all from that. Each time I tell Cratejoy I'm not happy they reply that they're closing my ticket as the matter is resolved! They are not taking any responsibility. Buyer beware!
Hello! This is Escape the Crate. We are sorry you had this experience. In the future, please contact Escape the Crate at our contact below like you did initially back in July or on any one of our various Social media platforms so we can look up an order. Often Cratejoy does not pass along messages to sellers on the site, so we were unable to know of this issue. As we said in our email, your package is on the way and an automated tracking email was sent to your son back on the shipping date, so you might want to check your spam filter or deleted messages. We have provided you with that tracking email, as well....
- We ordered a box for a Christmas present on December 4.
- It was supposed to ship the second week of December and Escape the Crate said to expect the tracking number by December 11. They told me to expect 3 days for delivery, so I expected to receive around Dec. 14 give or take a day or two.
- I noticed it was running late and I I emailed Escape the Crate three separate times of the course of the wait period inquiring about my package, and asking to cancel my order if they couldn't ship it in time. No one ever responded to me.
- The box didn't ship until December 18 and was finally delivered to my home on Dec. 21, A FULL WEEK after I was told it would ship and be delivered. We had already left to go out of town at that point for Christmas- meaning I could no longer give it as the Christmas gift I intended. To make matters worse, because we were not home, the package sat out in the rain and was completely ruined and can not be used at all!!
Really disappointed with our experience with this company. I would not recommend and of course we will not use Crate Joy or Escape the Crate again.
Based on the way the "subscription terms" are laid out on their page, it may seem like you can purchase just one box for $29.99. What this actually means though is that you are signing up for a regular subscription process, where they bill you every month. If you are only trying to order one box to try it out (or as a present), MAKE SURE TO CANCEL YOUR SUBSCRIPTION IMMEDIATELY AFTERWARDS as they will otherwise bill you/send you a box for the next round.
I recently signed up for a 1 year subscription and purchased 2 of their old crates. After over a month I have yet to receive the 2 old crates I purchased (which I had to pay in advance for) and every single email that I have sent has not be returned or addressed. I would not recommend this company in any way. Can't even contact anyone to speak with someone since everything is done through email.
Box and materials felt inexpensive for the price and the audio clues were not polished - instead of rerecording the short clips to eliminate mistakes, they left them in. I understand the work that goes into tabletop game design, and have no problem paying for the labor of its creators, but I was too disappointed in the quality of the content to continue my subscription.
I was really excited to get this box, but ultimately my husband and I were incredibly disappointed with the quality. To start with the box showed up and it was a lot smaller than I expected and quite light. Inside was a bunch of envelopes and paper and some trinkets. Honestly, the trinkets felt like someone went to Michael's and just picked up some random stuff. The quality felt really cheap and also most of the stuff was completely useless. For example, they sent a golden leaf and a regular leaf. You didn't need to USE the regular leaf. It was just...there. Only one of the trinkets was really necessary for the escape and even then...was it?
Next, some of the pages were printed on nice glossy paper, but several of them seemed to be printed using an inkjet printer that was almost out of ink. Next, the instructions on the website weren't very clear. We had to use hints several times to make it through and not because we were stuck. At one point a hint was like cut the animals out of this sheet of paper. We had the sheet, but there was no indication in the game that the animal sheet went with the sheet we were currently working on. And it was really annoying to spend time cutting out shapes while we were on the clock! The sheet wasn't given to us in an envelope and I definitely would have cut everything out beforehand so I wasn't...
I ordered this for my son for a gift. He and his friends felt there was something missing from the box. I have sent emails to Escape the Crate with no response. I had planned on ordering additional boxes but since it seems impossible to get a response I have not done so.
Ordered crates for Christmas presents the first week of December--my credit card was billed and it is now December 21st and I have no crates and my e-mails are not being answered!!! Would love to give this company a 5 star but really can't because they have my money and I have no crates!!!!!!!!!
We know how frustrating the holiday season can be with shipping, however both orders appear to have been delivered on Friday, December 21st... on time and on schedule for our early-mid December orders, several days before the holidays . Remember, we send out a tracking email when every order ships so that you can follow the progress of the boxes through the United States Postal Service. Have a great holiday season.
Our box was missing an important prop, and we couldn't solve one of the puzzles without it. Even with all of the pieces, though, this box was beyond impossible. Do not waste your money.
This was cancelled
Please stop sending
Hello! We certainly understand your frustration, but we have not received any messages asking for the subscription to cancel and neither has Cratejoy. Remember, subscriptions made on this site renew and we always send out renewal emails 2 days before renewing and notifications when your box renews. You can also always email us and we are happy to help you out. I have cancelled your subscription as of today, however you still have a few boxes you have already paid in for which will still ship out for the next 2 shipments. We want to make sure you get all of the boxes you have already paid for and we don't want to short you any!
Just opened our first box to play with the family. Got to the second clue and the code wouldn't work. Even clicked on the solution link to make sure we had it right. Very disappointing and a waste of time and money.
We are so sorry that there were website issues. Out website, and all squarespace websites, crashed around 9:15 PM tonight, making some parts of the game not work. We quickly got to work and fixed the issues and the site is back up. We totally understand how frustrating this is.... it was for us too! If you contact us using the contact info on the Cratejoy website, we want to talk to you about how to make this right. Thanks so much and happy escapes!